Pages

Sunday, July 9, 2017

Meal Prep Made Easy For Families

When I started working out I knew I needed to change how I was eating.  Its so much easier said than done though, especially when you need to cook and provide meals for your family as well. My hate for cooking grew as my husband was deployed and I became a mother to three. I started to prep so I could go to the gym in the evening and not need to still make dinner when I got home. Along the way I have learned a couple tips and tricks that I can share with anyone who wants to meal prep but struggles on knowing where to start.

Before I get into details about what I eat, you should know that I do not meal prep to loose weight and I do not count macros. I strictly meal prep to avoid wasting money and my health in the drive thru at Taco Bell. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.



First I get a lot of inspiration on Pinterest. Actually, even when I was not meal prepping I would find recipes to cook for my family on there. So naturally I use it now to look up meal prep recipes. You can type in anything you like, for example you could search "Chicken Taco Bowl Meal Prep" and a ton of recipes will pop up. Pick your fave and follow the recipe. I promise, its that easy. 

I look for recipes that will make A LOT of food because I am feeding five people. So things that have rice, or even whole grain pasta. I also try to look for things that are similar to things our daughters like to eat but healthier versions. For example they really like pasta salad, so for a lunch prep I have made a protein pasta salad that was super simple. 
-high protein pasta (found in Walmart pasta isle)
-Grilled or baked chicken
-tomatoes and cucumbers
-low fat Italian dressing
Its fast to make, taste good and last at least a week in the fridge! 

I also like to keep my recipes as simple as I can. When I first started I was making these elaborate meals, which were super tasty but they took SO LONG to prep. I was not into cooking for hours, then putting them into containers for just as long. I am just too lazy for all that when it comes to cooking. Now, I keep my meals very, very simple. Tasty but easy.

Find durable tupperware. I found some meal prep containers at a store in my town, but you can also find them on amazon I am sure. Make sure they are microwavable!! These are great because they stack well in your fridge and lunch boxes. If you cant find these you could use any durable plastic ware you find in the store. I have even made a large meal and just stored it in a big container in the fridge, we'd just take some out as we got hungry and needed a meal. 

When it comes to feeding my toddlers, I always make a bit extra so I can offer them what I am eating. They don't always want it so I make sure I have some of their favorite things to eat too. I mean come on, were moms we know the struggle on getting these little monsters to eat. They don't want whats on their plate, only whats on yours. 

Meal prepping can look intimidating but it really pays off during the week. I used to prep all three meals, but now I just stick to lunch and dinner. Less prep to make at once, and less waste when it comes to throwing meals out. We arent huge breakfast eaters in my home but if you are there are some great recipes online that you can try out. If I do breakfast my go to is - boiled eggs, fruit and a protein shake.

You will need to alter your eating plan to what your specific goals are when it comes to your body and fitness regime. Start with simple, easy to make meals and then grow from there. Once you do it for a few weeks you will start to find your grove and your favorite meals to prep and eat!



No comments:

Post a Comment