Pages

Friday, June 30, 2017

Fighter | I have Crohn's Disease.

I often get the question "What is Crohn's Disease?". By definition: Crohn's Disease is an autoimmune disease that effects the digestive tract. It is also known as "IBD" or inflammatory bowel disease. There is NO cure for Crohn's, only medicines to maintain symptoms. Common terms: my intestines hate life and are attacking themselves. Constantly.

In June of 2014 I began having symptoms of CD but didn't know it. I was using the bathroom so many times a day that I lost over twenty pounds without trying. Luckily, I had (and still have) a wonderful friend who was my advocate on getting tested. She too lives with this disease and has become a purple ribbon sister to me, b
ut also my teacher in learning about the changes my body can go through during a flare. (Love you, Ashley!) So, I went to the doctor and I remember telling her my symptoms and bringing up CD. Thank goodness she took me seriously and found out what test to run to hopefully rule it out. Crohn's is rare and can be hard to diagnose. I did the samples, blood work, etc. and waited for them to come back.

I was sitting in the room with my three month old baby girl, my husband was deployed, anxious to hear what these results would bring. Everything that shouldn't be elevated, was. Everything that was supposed to be normal, was abnormal. My stomach sank and tears flowed down my face as she told me "I do believe you have Crohn's".  I had to have a colonoscopy to be sure. Unfortunately the doctor who did my test did not properly give me my results so I spent two more years in limbo. Still loosing weight. Still extremely fatigued. Malnourished no matter what or how much I ate.


Enter Charlee and the worst pain I had ever, ever endured in my life. Up until this I had never felt natural childbirth (I have now and nothing compares!) but this pain I had in my stomach I never wanted to experience again. I had a seventeen month old baby, and a five week old baby so I wasn't ready to admit I was sick and something was very wrong. After much convincing from my husband I went to the hospital. An abscess in my intestines was found and I was admitted.  I spent about a week on IV antibiotic and then discharged STILL WITH NO DIAGNOSIS. Just "oh you probably do have Crohn's". My frustration was through the roof.

I was re-admited to the military hospital, this time with said abscess but now a fistula as well. A fistula is a tunnel that forms from abscesses and can come to the surface of the skin, or connect things. Mine connected my bowels to my bladder. I will always, always, ALWAYS be so thankful for the military doctors at Fort Bliss because they finally diagnosed me with Crohn's disease. Finally I had a face to the monster that was controlling my life. Finally I could explain to people that I had a disease not just a stomach ache. That no, in fact I don't "just have IBS."


I had a surgery in February of 2016 to remove a portion of my colon, part of my bladder and my appendix. I started Humira injections and now have moved onto infusion therapy. I go every eight weeks for a Remicade cocktail and nap. My Crohn's for now is behaving, but its such a temperamental disease that it could change within the hour. I have had to learn so much about my body in the last three years, cut things from my life, learn how to be healthy and watch for warning signs of colon cancer or even medicine induced lupus.




Ive gotten some crazy questions along the way about CD and wanted to clear the air a little and provide some etiquette for people when inquiring.

-My disease is more than just using the bathroom or a stomach ache. Imagine the WORST stomach ache you have ever had. Then remember that after you use the bathroom the pain goes away. Not for people with Crohn's. The pain is constant and hard to manage. Day in, day out.
-I am not trying to loose weight and saying things like "oh man, I wish I had your problem" is insensitive. I am malnourished and you don't want that problem, I promise.
-CROHN'S IS NOT CONTAGIOUS. I wont infect you!
-Yes, I go to the hospital. A lot. Sorry, I do not keep a Doctor on staff in my home.
-Crohn's Disease and IBS are not the same. Similar, maybe. The symptoms do cross paths but IBS does not cause inflammation in intestines and its not autoimmune.

If you EVER feel like something is not right with your body be sure you take it seriously! Talk with a Doctor, do not let people brush you off. Find an advocate who will stand by your side and fight with you. God only knows what I would do if I didn't have my amazing family/friends, and Ashley. She has taught me SO much about Crohn's, she checks in on me when I am sick, and the convo's we have aren't that of normal mom talk. We are grown women who found an awesome friendship via hemorrhoids, poop, pain and anything else this disease brings our way!

I may be sick but I am not weak. I have a fight so deep inside of my bones to get better. My life will never be a easy ride with Crohn's but it will always be a learning experience. Not only for myself but for my children. I never want them to look back an think, oh we never did anything cause mom was sick- or remember me being controlled by my disease. Crohn's doesn't hold me back from anything.. okay well only if there isn't a public bathroom- but thats it! I want to raise my children to be compassionate of people, to understand that everyone has difficulties in their life one way or another but its how we overcome them. THATS why I don't let this disease rule me. If I did I would be completely paralyzed with fear and negative thoughts. I have enough odds against me, I am going to live my life happy and optimistic, and take the flares as they come.

"I still got a lot of fight left in me."



If you never read another post from my blog, I am so thankful that you read this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment